Kale Stems with Caramelized Onions and Bacon
This quick and easy recipe will fill you tummy and leave you feeling full and healthier!
Kale is one of the superfoods of the decade. It’s also one of the healthiest vegetables around and one way to be sure to enjoy outstanding nutrition and flavor from kale is to cook it properly. Kale freezes well and tastes sweeter and more flavorful after being exposed to a frost. Tender kale greens can provide an intense addition to salads, particularly when combined with other strongly flavored ingredients like dry-roasted peanuts, soy sauce-roasted almonds, red capsicum flakes, or sesame-based salad dressings.[Wikipedia]
- 1 bunch curly kale, washed and dried
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 2 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar (optional)
- Serves: 4 people
This colorful salad uses a less-popular part of the leaf, and combines sweet and savory notes derived from bacon and maple syrup. The salad’s vibrant colors and textures make it worthy of being the main entree.
- Remove leaves from kale, break into bite-size pieces, and set aside. Chop stems into thin rounds.
- Warm a large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon. Cook for 2 minutes; then add onion and chopped kale stems. Stir to coat. Reduce heat to medium low, and cook for 40–45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden brown and very soft.
- Add reserved leaves, and stir. Cover, and cook for 6–8 additional minutes or until leaves are wilted fully. Remove from heat.
- Stir together tahini, maple syrup and cider vinegar, if using, in a small bowl. Drizzle over kale-bacon mixture before serving.
PER SERVING (1 cup): 185 cal, 10g fat (5g mono, 3g poly, 3g sat), 7mg chol, 28mg sodium, 18g carb (3g fiber, 10g sugars), 4g proteinDisclaimer: I receive product(s) either complimentary OR for monetary compensation from the company/manufacturer I write about. This site also makes a small commission after you click referral/affiliate links included in our posts .As Writer/Blogger, I agree to use these product(s) and post my honest opinion on my blog. The opinions posted are my own. Thank you for being a continued subscriber to Tricia's List! ~Tricia~