Today Is National Barbecue Day… Who Knew?
National barbecue day. Did you even know that there was a day named after the grilling of meat on a barbecue pit? I just found out about this event a month ago. And that’s crazy to me being that I am a lover of barbecue of all types, including vegan options. Also, there may be some disagreements about whether May 16th or July 4th is truly National Barbecue Day. In any case, i have no problem celebrating the day every month 😆😆!!
So in this article I am going to discuss when barbecue day started and how it has become a national day. Then I’ll share with you some photos of my own barbeques as well as some really nice grilling recipes that you can try. Let’s get started!
The Barbecue Council founded National Barbecue Month in 1963 to encourage outdoor cooking. Since then, grilling and barbecuing have increased in popularity.
- Barbecues have been a White House tradition since Thomas Jefferson. Lyndon B. Johnson, the 36th president of the United States, hosted the first barbecue at the White House that featured Texas-style barbecued ribs.
- The most popular holidays for barbecuing are, in order, July 4th (71 percent), Memorial Day (57 percent), and Labor Day (55 percent)..
- The most popular foods for cooking on the grill are, in order: burgers (85 percent), steak (80 percent), hot dogs (79 percent) and chicken (73 percent).
- The side dishes most commonly prepared on the grill are, in order, corn (41 percent), potatoes (41 percent), and other vegetables (32 percent).
- The most popular flavors of barbecue sauce are hickory, followed by mesquite, honey, and then spicy-hot.
HOW TO OBSERVE #NationalBarbecueDay
Visit your favorite bbq restaurant. The best places have a line and sell out early. Or, plan ahead and make your one bbq. It’s also National BBQ Month so, enjoy the month. Supplement your BBQ with these great picnic ideas, too. If you’re just starting to explore barbecuing, check out these 7 Hot BBQ Tips. It’ll be delicious! Use #NationalBBQDay and #NationalBarbecueDay to share on social media.
Here are a few photos of my bbq outings. After looking those mouthwatering pics, be sure to take down my delicious bbq rub recipes!